Tuesday, April 7, 2009

New favorite past time

yes this will probably change in the next few weeks, but I found something that is really fun to watch. Hockey, probably not on television, but I went to a semi-pro hockey game here in Salt Lake with some friends this last weekend. What a great sport!!! If you were there you will know what I mean, if not let me tell you about hockey. Who in there right mind would know how the sport is played sometimes they call a penalty "boarding" this is when you hit someone up against the boards, well it seems like every two seconds someone is getting hit up against the boards. So I am not sure how a ref can call one thing boarding and not everything boarding. Or "slashing" this is when you intentionally use your stick to "slash" another player. Hello isn't that why you have a stick so that you can use it against another player?

The best is yet to come, everyone knows about how big that a hockey rink is, well there are three skranny referees and at least 12 players between the two teams playing, and yes the players look like they should be playing football only they have on ice skates. So the best comes after there has been some slashing and boarding. What proceeds is what looks like an very staged brawl. It got the point where there were at least 4 players on the ground while the other members where just trying to hold everyone off. This brawl type will go on, yes they are throwing uppercuts and hooks at each other, once it looks like the skranny refs can get in there they start to break it up. I actually thought that I saw a few punches hitting the refs, but I guess that this comes with the job. So these refs have to break up these big huge players and decide which ones get penaltized and which ones get thrown out. Well you would think ok I knew that they fought a little in hockey, no this was not the end and this was only midway through the first or second period. What looks like happens is after the first brawl there are just a bunch of mini brawls that proceed. And little to my surprise the refs really don't do much until after the fact because obviously they don't have a very good dental plan. So what turned out to be a rather fun and new experience for me turned into something really really awesome. I paid $10.00 to see some really good fights, probably better than the ones that the E-Center usually has.

And towards then end it was just an all out fight against this little man from the Anchorage Aces and what looked like a much larger man from the Utah Grizzlies. One whole end of the rink was devoted to this throw the gloves off, beat the hell out of each other fight. It went on for a couple of minutes really until finally they both ended up on the ice and the Grizzly was literally on top of the Ace just wailing on him. And ya they had instigated a fight, those two, earlier on in the game.

I was so enthused after this game that I can't wait for the next Grizzly game, which yes it just so happens to be against the Aces, and it is during the playoffs. Man hockey rules, I might not understand it and probably wouldn't have liked it had it not been for the real devotion that these players obviously have for this sport.

6 comments:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I laughed so hard at this. You crack me up with your "Dental Plan" commentary. You are so funny, tounge in cheek funny. What the heck does that mean, tounge in cheek? Of course your tounge is in your cheek?? I really need to be a better blogger like my brother Paul.

Andrea said...

Hi Paul. You do make watching hocky games sound like a lot more fun than I would have thought. We need to get the kids together to play soon! Love ya.

Alana said...

That sounds like a ton of fun. I think I want to play hockey myself. I need an arena where I can take out some aggression- besides mopping the floors. Is there an all female fight club around?

Cynthia said...

Man Paul, that sound like a much better game than the one I went to!! You are so funny, and by the way, who won? (as if anybody cares!) xoxo

The Chester Tolman's said...

As busy as you are, finding friends to chat with, on line kind of connects you with a friend. Doesn't it? And have a stimulating conversation is very nice, too. I'm sure your kids are intelligent, but...you know, they are still kids, ha, ha. You have such a great personality. And your parents taught you well and how to be a good, productive winner & worker, too. I can see you will go wherever you want to be, in life. And I think 8:30 sounds like a perfect time for your kids to go to bed and unwind themselves. It will make healthy children. They will have the energy to do their learning and do what it takes to grow up. Your dad still sends you “kids” to bed so he can unwind, too. He, like you, has more on his plate than 2 or 3 people. Your children will only benefit from it. It sounds like hockey is a good way for you to release some of that energy, too. We all need that unwinding, or we’d be like a yo-yo, huh?

I think the headset is a wonderful, respectful way for someone to watch TV, when someone else is trying to sleep. We do it, here. John is the night owl, at our place. I think most women make light sleepers. Bummer! I wish I could sleep, like a rock, ha, ha.

It sounds like your company needed that extra boost, to stay off the ground. These are tough times. The sell and buy, of your company, is a good thing. I hope they treat you all as good as the Sorensen's did. This "buy" will give your company more backing-money. You are such a hard worker and an asset, I know they will keep you. I wouldn’t stress about doing "it" good enough, you are already there. Just keep it up. It sounds like you are doing well, with your children, too. I hope they are happy and you are all doing well. Hang in there and remember to enjoy whatever you are doing. Life is full of "doing it". I can see you know how to do that.

Good luck. I love you, Paul. Your aunt Val.

P.S. Got kind of long, didn’t it? Good night.

Aunt Val said...

I had to write, again. Last night, after a couple of hours of reading through blogs, I started skimming. I had started out reading about your work and by the time I’d gone through blogs, I’d missed out on your hockey story. So I had to come back. It sure sounds like it was a lot of fun. An “on the edge of your seat” game. I’ve been to a few hockey games, and this one was one of those games you always hope for. Lot’s of action. You are so funny, in your analogies. I think it just feels good to be routing, yelling and jumping up and down, in your seat, burning off energy. By the way, I wouldn’t worry about your job. You are so much fun, they couldn’t let you go. Life would be more boring, and much, much harder, for them. When you can make whatever you are doing, fun, lie is just more fun and much easier. When you have a job to do, you do it like you’re playing hockey, don’t you? Except, please don’t get the bruises and black eyes. And don’t get hit by a hockey stick, either. Ouch. Love ya. Aunt Val