Friday, October 3, 2008

Cat Nap

I was reading some blogs of friends today and I realized something. At work there are many different types of people. Those with the doors wide open, come and go as you please style. Those that situate their offices so that they can see everyone's faces as soon as they are in the door. Then there are the type of people that put their desks in a manner that you can't even see their faces when you walk by their door. What is the deal with people why is it that people are so secretive. Do you really think that your job is so important to the company that you have to hide everything that you are doing. Hey stupid, everything that you do at work is company property. Your e-mails can be looked at anytime of the day by anyone who really matters. The company keeps tabs on everything and every page that you look at while you are at work. So don't think that your job is more important than anyone else because they keep tabs on everyone and everything that you are doing. You are not safe from anyone don't try and hide from them they know what you are doing all the time.

This came because the other day I was so tired at work that I was sitting looking at some old building plans at my desk when I realized that I kept dozing off. I couldn't believe it sleeping at work, so ashamed so unacceptable. Then I thought to myself, really come on. I really don't want to start complaining about work because I really enjoy my job. But I was told that there are 168 workable hours in a 7 day time period. Sadly that means that I could be and have been called in to work during any one of the 168 hours during the week. I have a phone that isn't even a year old a nicer flip-phone with a camera fell out of my shirt pocket when I was leaning over a scissor lift that was at the rafters at work. Dropped out of my pocket about thirty feet in the air, not to say that it took a pretty good bounce, sort of like a skydiver whose parachute doesn't open, but it broke in two. I could hear the people talking on the other side of the call but no picture and no more flip rather just always dangling in two pieces. I had to go get a new phone, I told the salesman to not even try I wasn't going to by anything expensive rather durable because the company was not going to reimburse me for my phone that broke at work. So I have this phone that isn't even a year old. Probably in the last year has been turned off a total of 15 minutes. So sometimes I have to manually turn the phone off because you can't hear the person talking on the other side. So I can be called into work anytime of night, day or weekend.

So I found myself sleeping in my office and later I thought who cares, I am actually tired and am not getting enough sleep at home either. I don't know what it is, call me "unrealistic or out of touch" (those on the JNAC might appreciate that) but for some odd reason I can't fall asleep at night or maybe it is just the fact that I like getting maybe 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. Life sometimes sucks. You run into these situations that you never imagined could happen to you and you thought this should not happen to me I am a good person.

So back to the type of office personnel, I am none of the types mentioned above, rather I am the type that thinks "Damn I might fall asleep at my desk, during work hours, while on the clock, with the office door wide open, but honestly do I care because sometimes that is the only place that I can actually sleep". If you're looking for a reason to fire Paul Goold come by his office on a Wednesday or Thursday at around 11:30 am you won't have to look very hard because his door is going to be wide open and he is probably going to be catching a cat nap at his desk.

4 comments:

Alana said...

Ah, thank you for posting. I just got home from Marathon night at Pasta. Remember that? I too have the disease of not being able to fall asleep. Especially after work, I have to take quite a while to "wind down". Your blog had me cracking up tonight. Lastnight I didn't manage to fall asleep until 3! I laid down at 11:00, finally gave up around 1:00 and came upstairs and watched the palin/biden debate again and ate pudding pops. So I am totally deprived. It's like I can't turn my mind off and thoughts just spin around for hours. Can someone turn this dang thing off? I am still laughing about the cat napping. Funny and entertaining post! Thanks for making my miserable marathon night.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Paul, I laughed, I took a cat nap and then I thought, you'd better take this post off, in case your boss really does read it. I don't want you to get fired. You're too important. Or make your blog private!

Nic said...

I can't sleep at night either. I have anxiety. I previously thought this was a woman thing because I assumed women were the only ones capable of worrying 24 hours a day 7 days a week, but maybe I was wrong.

Maybe people can't sleep because they feel too much of life.

gooldylocks said...

Hey bud i love ya, i also have that problem i either get depressed at night, even if my life is going wonderfully or i just think think think. its ridiculously i even think about how important sleep is so stay up not sleeping but thinking about it. haha. im way excited for you to come down i cleared my whole weekend which pretty much consisted of not calling anyone since im a loser and no one calls me. haha. well love ya bud maybe next weekend i'll try to take dads car up to salt lake and i can hang with you and the kids and help out around the apartments but i dont think dad will go for that. love ya bye.