Thursday, October 30, 2008

Disappointment

So we had this really great day planned today, the kids and I. I have been waiting for a couple of weeks to go this Halloween party that my cousin Andrea was throwing. I even got home from work early so that we could leave by 4 and not get there to late, the party started at 4 but she lives in Eagle Mountain and it is a little drive out there. But I had received another email from an aunt saying that she wasn't going to be able to leave Provo until 4:30-ish and so I didn't feel to bad getting there a little late. I imagined that lots of cousins were going to be there and all three of us were really looking forward to the fun parties that Andrea throws. So it took a little longer to get there because the map that I immediately downloaded from Mapquest.com when i got home was way to zoomed in and only gave me the name of the streets immediately surrounding her house, and it has been almost 2 1/2 years since I have been out to her house. No worries we made it to her house by 4:45. When we drove up things seemed a little strange because there were no cars in the driveway other than a work truck. I didn't think much of it maybe by some miracle we arrived first, not really thinking straight or logically at this point. Ariana knocked on the door and Brian, Andrea's husband, answered the door with two little munchkins dressed up for the Halloween party. He seemed a little bit surprised and so did I because nobody was there. He informed me that they had already had a great party, I instantly thought to myself how in 45 minutes did you have a great party. He then went on to say the great party had been the day before. In all my excitement or in all my scatter braininess I hadn't noticed that the date on the email invitation was for the Wednesday the 29th of October. Never in my life have I been more embarrassed, luckily only Brian was home and he didn't seem to bothered by the fact that we had showed up 24 hours late for their Halloween party.

Is life just difficult or am I just losing my mind. I really had no clue when we got there that we were 24 hours late and I felt so bad for my kids they had been wanting to go to that party all week to see family and have some Halloween fun. I will not let that happen again, maybe that is why I just stay cooped up in my house all the time, it's a lot harder to let your kids down when you never leave the living room.

We'll definitely get them next time.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

We missed you so much yesterday! We will make sure to get something fun going when the basement is done. I am really bummed out that we weren't home today, because we could have had a second party and had twice the fun. Maybe we will do some Thanksgiving or Christmas themed thing. Give your kids a hug from us and tell them we will do something special just for them. Love you guys.

Jennie said...

I do stuff like that, too. If I lived in Utah, you could come to my house and we'd have parties all the time.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

OH man, that is so disappointing. And a long drive, for NOTHING!! I'm so sorry. Was it last year I went trick-or-treating with your kids on Nathan and Devona's street? Fun times, I'm just leaving for the Trunk or
Treat party at our ward. . .xo, Sarah

Alana said...

That is so depressing... just when you find an event everyone can look forward to. I'm sorry Paul, that is a total drag! Did you go trick or treating tonight?

Heather said...

That sucks Paul, we really missed you... we should seriously all get together for christmas and have a great little party... i will personally call you that day so you dont do that again!!! Hope you had a great halloween!!! Hey look at the bright side, at least you attempted to show up... some of the family was too good to even come to the party! Give the kids hugs and kisses from the Almaraz Clan!!!

Krystal said...

I'm so sorry you missed the party. We missed seeing you guys too. I was really hoping that you guys would be able to make it. What did Ari and Matthew dress up as? I hope you had some Halloween fun with them the next day. We love you guys and hope to see you at the next party! :)