Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blackmail and squiggly straws

Today I had a very interesting experience. My five year old daughter, Ariana, learned a new life skill which is, if you are only five you might have figured out what blackmail is but you are definitely still to small to make it work on your parents.

Anyone who knows Ariana knows that she by far is the sweetest little kid alive. She might be sweet but that sassy get back at you attitude is starting to kick-in. Today she wanted me to get what she wanted. It started out with her asking me to let her sit in the far back seat of the car. I said no because her car seat was in the middle seat. She proceeded to offer me $100.00 of I would let her sit in the back. I said that's ok I don't really need $100.00 to which she said but "you would be really rich". I couldn't help but give into the richness deal and say I would let her sit in the back. To my advantage she also has a memory that won't last more than 5 minutes, by the time we got back to the car she had forgotten completely that she wanted to sit in the far back all together.

What came about later was the true genius of the blackmail. She really wanted to go to a friends house and play. I was really not in the mood to take her but I didn't tell her that upfront rather I said I would think about it. She then came back at me and said I will do whatever you want if you take me to my friends house and if you don't I won't clean up my room. I said that is fine I will just throw your toys in the garbage. She said well that wouldn't be fair at all you can't just throw my toys away. I said I am only going to throw them away if you won't clean them up after playing with them. She couldn't really comprehend how she had gotten wooped so bad but just kept telling me that wasn't fair at all.

Later, after we had arrived home, Matthew, the two year old, said he wanted to eat some rice so I said go and get a spoon. He went to he kitchen while I was doing something else and came back and said "this?" as he was holding s squiggly straw. I couldn't help laughing out loud at which he proceeded to laugh. He can be so silly sometimes.

So what we have learned today is that if you are five years old the only person that you can blackmail is probably your two year old little brother. But definitely don't try blackmailing your parents because what might happen is you will lose all your toys because your parents aren't going to clean them up.

10 comments:

Alana said...

That is so funny. Kids never fail to shock me with their intelligence. They really get all the "rules" and figure out how to work the system real early on. They also never fail to amaze me with how funny they can be. Even the simplest thing, like the squiggly straw and giggles, can be enough to make your day.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Loved it. Can you take over the whole "blogging everyday" role that I've given up? You're much funnier than me and your kids are funnier too. I miss and love you. S

m+b said...

Oh man this made me laugh so hard!! Ari is too funny!! I wonder where she learned that?? Does her dad bribe her?? Just kidding but you guys should probably come down sometime soon cause we miss your silly kids!

Krystal said...

Very cute story! Ari and Matthew are getting so grown up...I can't believe it!! You do have cute, silly kids. :) Are you ever going to post any pics of them at Disneyland? I didn't get to see them enough then, so I need to see pictures. :) P.S. It's not too late to post them either, because I still haven't posted about Disneyland! :) haha.

Jennie said...

Nice, Paul. Glad to see you blogging again so mouch.

Elaine Goold said...

I have got to teach that girl a little more about money!! Maybe if she offered you $1,000 ... but where would she get that much money? (wait a minute - where would she even get $10, let alone $100?) You need to bring her on down here so I can teach her some more blackmailing skills!!! I love your stories! Give those two cuties a kiss and hug for me!

Cynthia said...

Hi Paul, it was great to see you even briefly at Disneyland. I have enjoyed reading your blog, all about your kids, work, insomnia, housework, etc. You are so funny, and a terrific guy. I am a regular "stalker" of yours and Sarah's blogs, although I type too slow and rarely leave comments. But I want you to know if you want to get away for a day, weekend, month or whatever, come see us. We are only an hour away, and would love to hang with you and those cute kids. We hope you are doing well, we love you, Aunt Cynthia
PS it is 11:32 and I am up reading blogs, it must run in the family!

Cynthia said...

PS If you give a man a fish you will feed him for the day, but if you teach him how to use a computer you won't see him for weeks!

Nicole said...

haha this is a good one, Ariana is a smart little cookie! I love how she came up with bribing you but then forgot about it. I used to always try and say yes to my kids when they asked for something.. like at the grocery store when they asked for a cap gun. I would tell Kalen YES! Of course you can have that cap gun, for CHRISTMAS! haha he would be all excited and then by the time Christmas around, it was old news!

Aunt Val said...

How fun. Last night, the 14th of April is really the first time I've looked up these blog sites, on my own. I'm slow, ha, ha. Your blog site is so much fun to read. I can hear your voice, in your words. You have such cute analogies about things going on around you. I can see you are able to find the humor, in every day life. What a fun father. What a fun, good man. Like you say, Goold is Good. Your kids are so lucky to have you as their father. Thanks for posting. Have another great day.