Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Boss Man

I got this really cool boss at work. They fired my last boss about 4 months ago and what a relief because he was the biggest jerk that I have ever met. Anyways back to the cool guy, he likes Family Guy, he has a very dry sense of humor and almost never takes anything seriously at work. Ok he does take things seriously at work but in a kind of way that my personality understands and I can cope with.

I think that I honestly have a sleeping disorder, if that is what insomnia is. I don't know what it is I just don't sleep well at night, ever. So he keeps suggesting to me that I try some sleeping pills, like doctor medicated Ambient or something of that nature. So I was writing SOP's all day yesterday and at about 2:30 in the afternoon he just happens to walk by my office when I had my head on my desk thinking about the best way to state a procedure so that the rest of the company can understand it. He says to one of his other managers, "I told him he had to get some sleeping pills but instead he just decides to sleep at work." Of course he was joking, and when he noticed that I wasn't asleep he directed his attention to me and said "You should at least partially shut your office door if you are going to sleep at work." My nonchalant response was "If I shut it there is no possibility of you finding me in here sleeping." He just laughed at that and said if you go Paul then I am going also. It really is nice to have a boss that is easy to get along with and also appreciates the things that I am doing at work.

His favorite saying to us, his managers, is "Don't sweat the things you have no control over" he says that to us because over the last 4 months our Operations department has taken at least a 50% reduction in workforce. While other departments in the company feel it necessary to hire more people because there lazy employees can't multitask. It is very frustrating but not so bad when at least our own boss understands the necessity of good hard workers that are willing to do anything at the plant to help the company succeed. He just keeps telling us that someday they will get there reward and someone with some balls will open their eyes and realize who is really bringing the company down.

It is also fun to work at a plant that a friend once called the "Willy Wonka Factory" everyday is a new day and everyday brings new challenges and new accomplishments. To all those that don't enjoy there jobs, don't look for anything right now just stick it out and enjoy what you and "Don't sweat the things you have no control over".

4 comments:

Alana said...

Paul, how many times do I have to tell you: Original strength Unisom... the old school tablets... just take half- puts you out cold and not too groggy in the a.m. Nice to see you back on the radar. I'm glad you have a new boss. Sounds like a relief... and thanks for the reminder, "don't sweat the things you can't control".

Grandma Duffy said...

Don't get the Ambian...it can be really addictive. My daughter would do alot of things she wouldn't remember taking it.
I heard you had a good trip to Disneyland. You deserve it...
I am G'ma BJ's daughter....

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Paul, I'm glad you have a good boss and that he recognizes what a good man you are . . . and I like his motto, I need to get a new one. . . "It just doesn't matter" is getting old! xoxoxo

Elaine Goold said...

I'm so glad you like your boss - that makes going to work and staying there all day a LOT easier. I really like my boss also and he is fun. Dad told me you got a nice raise!! Hallelujah!