Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Funniest projectile

Today probably the funniest thing happened, that I have seen, in a very long time. The kids are old enough, almost, that taking them to the park is relaxing. I say almost because I still have to watch them but not like a hawk, I can actually enjoy the heat and sweatiness that the 100+ degree weather brings. So back to the funniest thing, we went to the grocery store prior to the park to buy some popsicles, because it really is deathly hot in Utah right now. Anyways once at the park I let the monsters loose with their popsicles. At first they were very timid to go on any of the jungle gym equipment but that only lasted about 2 or 3 licks. Not sure which was more appealing the popsicles or the fact that they were at the park and could just let of some of that pent up energy. So I am sitting down sort of watching both of them from afar, relaxing on the parkbench. I notice Matthew, the two year old, going up to the upper part of the jungle gym to the very highest slide that there is. He has only finished like 1% of his popsicle because he is two and has the attention span of a well two year old. Sometimes a couple of hours after we finish eating you will find him playing somewhere and he honestly looks like a chipmunk, cheeks full of food that he has calmly been holding in his cheeks since he got down from the dinner table not willing to part with those last few bites. Hilarious, he actually was choking once on food that had he had been holding in his mouth for at least 4 hours, was very hard for him to willingly spit it out into the toilet.
Back to the park, so he is on the highest part of the gym with his Popsicle and I so happen to see him go down the slide, that the last child must have left extremely well lubricated because he pretty much shot out of the end like a missile. I was very quick to get up when I saw him flying through the air. Well as you can imagine he lost control of the Popsicle and was sort of spread eagled on the wood chips with the Popsicle laying a few feet away perfectly intact. I was sure that this was going to be the end of a very short trip to the park. He calmly arose, got his bearings back, looked around a little until he located his Popsicle, looked it over calmly, picked it up blew the dirt off and quietly started sucking on the Popsicle again.
I couldn't stop laughing, he and his older sister really are the most extraordinary things in the world. They are so shy at times but at other times really are the most off the wall creatures that you can imagine.

5 comments:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Owwwie, Tounge Splinters! So cute, I wish I had a video camera at a moment like that.

Andrea said...

How funny. I love when you are expecting a huge production, but get a shoulder shrug and a dirty Popsicle instead. They can be so grown up (minus the eating playground bark part).

m+b said...

That is hilarious!! And to answer the comment you left us last, we live boring lives. Mike works and goes to school and I work... and that is all. Nothing exciting!! That's why we haven't posted forever!

Alana said...

That is so cute. I am always amazed at the bond between parents and children and how anything they do is so adorable! They bring just pure delight with the tiniest thing. If they only knew! I always ask my Mom... "do you love ME that much"? Of course, the answer is yes... really sheds some light on their perspective.

gooldylocks said...

haha i love your kids they are ridiculous amounts of amazing. im so excited so them and you again not that being in italy hasnt been an amazing and wonderful experience but i miss these kinds of moments with your kids. they give me another reason to live haha.