Monday, June 30, 2008

Movies and Parents

One of the weirdest things happened at our house last time that my parents came to visit. Andrea your little comment reminded me that I probably out to share another sad part of what I see of growing older. As I was thinking about your comment I thought that probably my parents were to proud to listen to the tv at a very loud and uncomfortable volume. Then I thought, as anyone who knows them, they have always listened at an uncomfortably loud level.
We recently bought a surround sound for the living room and both mom and dad were up for a few days and after the kids go to be we sometimes have a movie or two to watch while we relax in the evening. I thought that they might just not know which setting on the surround sound to set while watching movies. But they did the weirdest thing, they wouldn't start the movie without subtitles, in English. They said it is to loud we can not hear what they are saying. My parents have reverted to reading entire movies instead of listening to them. I thought that it was an anomaly with the surround sound until a few weeks later we were in St. George and they were doing the same thing there. I always viewed movies as a tool for relaxation, reading the entire movie is no form of relaxation but rather 1 1/2 to 2 hours of mind draining reading.
I don't know if I am the only one but I can't concentrate on the action of the movie I always end up reading the entire subtitle if they are on. I pretty much miss the whole movie and just end up reading it.
Hope that this does not sound mean but I will not rent movies if I know that my parents are coming because I don't and almost will not subject myself to 2 hours of reading when what I am looking for is that escape from where reality where I don't have to do any work and almost fall completely unconscious.

6 comments:

Alana said...

Ha ha, made me laugh. I can so relate. When my sister had her baby they had the subtitles on whenever I went over... even if it was the middle of the day they would have the volume super low like a whisper... and subtitles. It drove me insane! Then, I had my own baby and I hate to admit, I was converted. I would turn the TV on while I nursed in the middle of the night and would read the subtitles. Usually the weather channel. At first it was work but soon it felt weird WITHOUT them. But, I am very proud to say that I am currently clean of the subtitles. Surely, a relapse is to come when, or if, I have another little baby.

Alana said...

Just remembered something else funny that fits with "Movies and Parents". My Mom mutes the commercials and sometimes even just watches TV on mute... not even subtitles. I suppose she just imagines what they are sayin????

Andrea said...

Subtitles are a hard thing during action movies. I too have done the middle of the night mute/subtitled infomercial while feeding babies (luckily by the time Hailey came along we had a DVR). It's good we have them though, because it won't be long before our kids complain about watching tv with us!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

That is so true, I can't stand watching movies with mom and dad either! I hate those little subtitles and find that I read more than listen to the movie and miss half of it. Ha, made me laugh.

m+b said...

Mike does this sometimes!!! At least we know now where he gets it from. If a part of the movie is too quite he rewinds it and turns on the sub-titles so he hears EVERY word!! It's so annoying, I miss most of the movie cause I'm reading the words!!

Elaine Goold said...

Hmmmmmm...... I guess I better quit reading your blogs, Paul!! Maybe you could make a movie instead and then I could read the captions and miss the whole dang movie!!!!