Tuesday, February 10, 2009

News

I was watching Dateline tonight. Ya I know why? I am almost to the point where I am so sick of watching the news. It just seems so negative and unfair but then again has it ever not been that way. They were interviewing the mother of the octuplets, also mother of 6 other children, and trying to get her side of the story for once. Seems like an important side to have instead of just some tv commentator that is very opinionated.

I don't know if I agree fully with the whole idea of a single mother having 14 children but then again I am also pro-choice of letting people do whatever they want to do. This woman, whether rightfully or not, has been accused of many things lately. Some of them very harsh things and are they all true, probably not.

I did see another good interview last night on ESPN, and ya he was clearing up some things that he lied about in the past. Yes he knowingly used steroids and lied about it. Does that make him a better person because he came out 6 years later and admitted to using illegal substances? It might not make the crime right but at least he feels good about himself and makes him feel like he can finally be honest with himself and probably feels really really bad for what he has done but the past is the past live it up for mistakes. How many other professional athletes are hiding and not being up front about what they did? It almost seems like he was committing a crime by making himself look better so he could be traded for more money or recieve a higher pay for playing baseball? To what extent is this sort of thing tolerated?

The governor of Utah, Jon Huntsman, is trying to get some legislation passed for civil union couples in the state of Utah, that was also on the news today. Why is this state so opposed to civil union and same sex couples? Do we think that are strong biases and opinions are going to change the whole world? What makes their union any different than a heterosexual marriage? Why should they be denied the rights that couples are given in this state? Are they doing something illegal? Just because you are in favor of civil union rights does not mean you agree with what they are doing. Our Governor is taking a lot of flack from his party about this whole issue but what is really right or wrong? Who is to decide these matters, I for one definitely don't want to be one that decides someone else's rights.

Then we go back to the mother who really just wants to have a large family. What the freak is the big deal? She has been a single mother with six children for how long now, has the state tried to take the kids away from her up to this point for negligence? Is she really on welfare or not who cares? Have you ever been on welfare? It isn't a pretty thing and they can come back and take all of it back, legally, years later if you lied or cheated on any of the forms. Is she trying to cheat the system and get more money by having more kids? Please she already has six healthy kids that seems like enough if you were trying to work the system, why would anyone knowingly want more and 8 if she didn't really want them? This is what's wrong with our society, we always look for the bad in people and never give them the benefit of the doubt. We just assume that people in general are horrible people and turn a batted eye at real criminals.

Oh one other thing I saw on the news today, the state of Utah will probably be allowing 500 inmates out of the Gunnison maximum security prison due to budget cuts and over crowding. To bad we couldn't build that bigger prison and keep some of the real criminals locked up. Good luck with that.

3 comments:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

OK, I have to say, Damian and I worked really hard to keep marriage between one man and one woman back when we lived in the Bay Area. The church asked us to, as our moral obligation. I have many gay friends and have hurt them with my opinion about this moral issue and I'll always be sad for hurting them. I don't love them any less (although they might hate me now!) But when the prophet asks me to do something, our prophet that can see the future of the world and the breakdown of the family, I will do what he asks. There is a lot of info out there about what legalizing gay marriage will do to our society and economy. Mostly it's just a moral issue. Marriage is sacred and is defined as the union between a man and a woman. To change that opens a can of worms and damages the family that I'll fight for. I did a post about this awhile back with lots of info about how mostly all the states in America have decided to define Marriage as one man/one woman. Most of America wants marriage this way, but sometimes the smaller minority has a louder voice. I'm suprised at Huntsman. What does he stand to gain in this? I can guarantee if this was put to a ballot in Utah is woudn't pas either if California defeated it twice (where most of the gay population lives in the US)

Elaine Goold said...

Okay, I have to admit I have no idea what you are talking about. I never watch the news and we quit taking the newspaper in June - so none of your blog made any sense to me. I'm glad you're coming down this weekend. It'll be wonderful to see you and the kids. It was so fun to talk to Matthew last night. I really did think he was Ariana because he could talk so well. I guess I better go check the internet and find out about this lady with 14 kids. I personally think she must be INSANE!!! although I really wanted 12 myself.

Alana said...

I saw the same interview, Paul. I was thinking the same thing... yeah, she might be crazy, but who cares? The thing that made me sympathize with her was when she said it made her sick to think of her already fertilized embryos frozen that would be thrown away. I would hate to know I had real frozen babies that I could give life to if I could.

And as far as the argument that it isn't fair to the other 6 kids: WEll, in theory, no it's not fair but I bet if you ask all these kids when they are adults if they would have it any other way they would say no. It's impossible, once a child is in existence, to ever wish it hadn't happened.

Hey, I can hardly take care of one child and stay somewhat sane. More power to her.

But when she says she didn't have her lips done- well, that is a lie just like the ones the Major League players tell.