Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Privileges

For those of you that don't know about us Goolds, we live in a two bedroom apartment in Salt Lake City. I was realizing today some of the advantages of not having space in the apartments for some very common household items. We don't have a dishwasher, and our laundry room is also our kitchen which kind of just forms our dining room. We have never lived in our married life anywhere larger with more space so we have come accustomed to the little bit of cramped we feel here in 595 B Columbus Street.

I was realizing today something that I haven't ever known before but seems to work very well. Here at the Goold household it is actually a privilege to wash the dishes with Dad. I realized this today as I was washing the dishes and Ariana asked if she could help. She really didn't want to finish her carrots and potatoes. So she became aware that washing the dishes or chores are a privilege that only those who have finished their dinner can help with. She was able to finish her dinner with amazing speed after this and then was given the privilege of putting the clean dishes in the dish rack.

Another privilege I know that my children have is taking a bath. They can't take a bath unless their toys are cleaned up first. This seems to be a very good practice as 1)they enjoy bathing 2)they don't enjoy cleaning up their toys. I don't know if using what your children like against them to do things that they don't likes is morally correct but as I said it seems to be working so I think that I will keep up the good child rearing practice.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Use what works for as long as it works is what I say. Soon they will be smarter than us, and then they will use what works on us to their advantage!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I do something similar. If the kids get dressed for bed and brush their teeth, they get to read scriptures. Wait . . . they really actually dislike scripture reading, so is that why it takes them 2 hours to get dressed and brush teeth? Hmmm, need to re-think this one!

I wish I could be a fly on your wall, "Hurry, Ari, if you really cram that food down the hatch quickly, you can wash, rinse, dry AND put the dishes away, you LUCKY girl!!"