Sunday, June 15, 2008

A reason I should buy my own home

I realized yesterday one of the many reasons that I have yet to buy my own home. I hate yard work. Allergies spring up, you have to haul away all the twigs and branches that you cut down, and you still have to tend the kids (only with power tools that can remove small extremities if you are not extremely careful).
Most of you know that we live in the Apartments on Capitol Hill in Downtown Salt Lake City. This is a wonderful opportunity for us to work off rent and learn a lot about ourselves and things that I really do hate. I guess that I can't say that I have ever liked yard work. I think my parents home in Alaska had to be on at least a half acre lot (probably giving them the benefit of the doubt) and it seems like that dang lawn grew a few inches every week. I remember cutting that large lawn what seemed like every week, and there was no easy way around cutting it, you just hoped that it hadn't rained the Friday before or else you were cutting the lawn in what seemed to be a half acre swamp. Tires sinking around every turn and the lawnmower bag only held like to passes around the yard and you had to make like honestly 50 passes no joke. The good thing about Alaska was that the parents obviously didn't care more then having lawn, or things didn't grow because all we had was lawn, no bushes or shrubs. So I got my hate for mowing lawn at an early age in Alaska. It wasn't until we moved to St. George, Utah in 1994 that I really found out what yard work was really all about.
The home in St. George is on a much smaller lot and much less lawn (thank heavens), but for some reason things seem to grow much better in St. George so Dad thought it would be good to do the same that was done at the Apartments in Salt Lake 50 - 60 years ago. Have a nice sized lawn, then put tons of bushes all over the property and at the very edges line the whole homestead with fruit trees. This is a great theory but not really because you have so much more to keep up. I don't like to complain because it does make things look so much nicer then just a bare lawn. I was in St. George a couple of weeks ago where two of my younger brothers live and things were looking a little bit overgrown and I asked Dad what was happening and his answer was a calm and straightforward "It gives me allergies". I couldn't help but laugh a little inside, he must be getting soft in his older age because the two boys at home were not even thought about, having the possibility of doing the yard work. I did silently think to myself and you wonder why the astronomical amount of yard work doesn't get done at the Apartments.
So I helped him trim his bushes, shrubs, trees and anything else that he might have needed the electric trims in St. George for so that I could bring them to Salt Lake. Now the yards at the Apartments are by far the largest lawns that I have ever had to tend. (Employing a professional might not be a bad idea in the future) My Grandfather, Norris, bless his soul had a great vision for the Columbus Street Apartments. I know that he was heeding the word of the prophets in preparing a plot of land that would produce fruit in times of need. The only problem that I can for see is that I don't know how to trim fruit trees, and make them actually produce healthy large fruit. The grounds at the apartments are not a quick morning project either, the lawns themselves take about 3 hours, then the trimming of the bushes and trees take another 3 - 4 hours then all the hauling away of the dead branches. Let me tell you if anyone has a ward that needs some service hours I have some great service projects for them to do.
Don't get me wrong I love living at the apartments that are a legacy to Norris Goold, he really did have a great vision for what would serve the community and the family in the future. I guess I just haven't ever liked yard work and probably never will. I guess if I did buy my own home I could decide how much yard work that I would have to do, maybe not such a bad idea afterwards.

6 comments:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I think when you get your own home you need to do some astroturf and beautiful rock beds with cactus. . .

I've tried to talk Damian into the astroturf for our yard. We have 2 acres and we both hate yardwork! It is still pricey, 3x as much as Sod, but you don't need sprinkler systems, water, a mower. . .and it ALWAYS looks perfect (at least for the 10 years guarantee, and then the color starts to fade!) And I honestly can't tell the difference. . .except my previous yard was always overgrown and had bald/dead patches. So Astroturf actually looks better!

Sometimes it does get a little hot for barefeet, so you have to hose it down to cool the plastic. Pretty good solution!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Oh, one other thought. I've never mowed a lawn in my life. Why didn't Dad ever have the girls do that? But then, it works well for me now. "Oh, you need help with the yard? I'm sorry honey, I just don't know how!" Dad didn't realize the diservice he was doing to his future son-in-laws when he raised 2 princesses, did he?

Alana said...

Amen! I don't have any yard work but I always wonder when people get it done? We have a concrete slab for a backyard... not so much fun for Anika but so little maintenance for us. Your family's yard in St. George is so pretty... I love the trees. Just wait until you get to make your kids dig a hole for a pool!

Andrea said...

Happy Father's Day Paul! I don't mind the yard work at our house, but we only have 1/8 of an acre. Brian does most of the mowing and I do the planting.

m+b said...

It MUST grow fast in STG because Mike and I did yard work like a month ago!! We trimmed all the bushes at least. I have proof on my blog if you don't believe me :)

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Oh yes, Happy Father's Day little BRO! I forgot to mention that in my other two comments!