Saturday, June 7, 2008

Saturdays

This used to be my favorite day of the week. I would wake up early to get as much free time as possible in with friends and no school. I remember doing some very interesting saturdays before leaving for my mission. One time the local wash was overflowing and a high school buddy and I thought it would be cool to get out the kayaks and pretend like we knew what we were doing. Was a way fun day but we are not kayakers and the overflowing really only had about 4 more inches of water in it than normal. So there was no possibility of doing any eskimo rolls or anything cool, rather just paddling down four inches of water.

I don't remember as a kid ever really sleeping in that late on saturdays or wasting any of that precious weekend time. Truthfully as a child most of your time is mapped out for you in school and depending on your religious views your sundays also. Seems like saturdays were pretty much the day our parents said all right your about old enough to make your own decisions so we hope that you come home when you are hungry. Also the fact that our small little town of my childhood was no more than about 20 public streets a couple of baseball fields and one very large park by the friends house that we always wanted to spend all of our time anyways. Now that I look back on my childhood I realize there was no danger in letting kids run throughout town or the outlying woods for the day because you always came back when it got dark.

Saturdays now are really like a catch-up day, not really as sought after as those Saturdays of old. Catch-up on sleep lost during the week over stress of life, job and money. I usually try not to get out of bed on Saturdays until after 11 o'clock. That is usually enough time for muscles, brains and sense to catch-up on anything lost during the week. Then the rest of the day is usually doing things that are not that fun for a man, like shopping for groceries. Don't get me wrong the kids and I try and make as much fun out of going to the supermarket as possible but that really can't beat playing in some very deep woods in Alaska.

1 comment:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

You and Damian have similar Saturdays. Saturday is the day I have off and he takes the kids. And does my work for me. Like Grocery shopping, haircuts, playdats. Last weekend I went WITH the family to Kung Fu Panda and all his family was shocked that I participated in a Saturday Event. I'm turning into a recluse. Or our mom. She did like to hide out in her bedroom to read, ALONE. I think my next post will be about that.